ads

race flag banner

race flag banner

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Your Child’s First and Best Advocate: You

Your Child’s First and Best Advocate: You

There are a million and one things rolling through my head about Jo Jo starting school in February. First things first it scares the heck out of me!!! I have so many questions, so many thoughts, and fear. I have heard so many horror stories about school's and advocating for your child. I have seen it first hand, and I read so many stories of other experiences about IEP (Individualized Education Program) meetings and school.

I keep getting told that I am the best advocate for my child. Am I really? I know that I am supposed to know what is best for my child but I am not a professional either. I don't know everything. Who does anyway!?!

There are so many stories out there that are just horrifying. School's not providing services that they should, parents being told that there child is not on the spectrum, and children bouncing from school to school. How can a school tell you your kid is not on the spectrum? Especially after being diagnosed by a doctor. Talk about toying with a parents emotions. Sure we all want to hear that our kids are normal and are not autistic, but I seriously do believe a school has no place making that determination or that decision.

How does a school get away with the things that they do?! I hope I am able to fight these battles and do the right thing for my Jo Jo.

No comments:

Post a Comment